CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Welcome Parents and Students of 2013-2014!

Our year is off to a great start! We have spent 2 weeks getting to know one another, learning procedures of the school and classroom, and digging into reading, writing, math, and a little science! Meet the Teacher night was last Thursday, and I got to meet many of the families of this year's class. My favorite part of the day has always been Reader's Workshop, but this year I'm really loving our math time. I have been finding fun math games (of course on TeachersPayTeachers!) for the kiddos to play. They get so excited and into the games that they probably don't realize they are practicing for our first assessment next week! Another important part of our day is guided reading centers. We began this week with procedures. I have been slowly walking them through each center because I am a firm believer in teaching procedures thoroughly to keep them running smoothly all year. So far they have mastered the computer and listening center. On Wednesdays we have an extra 30 minutes for math in our schedule. This is a perfect time to get some extra technology in, so I sign up for the laptop cart every Wednesday. Today was our first time trying it out, and the class did great! It helped that (almost) all of the laptops were working without much trouble. Until Acuity lessons are ready, we are getting on Education City. The kids love the interactive games and music. Today they played a game called Crazy Golf to practice even and odd numbers.

One fun addition I have this year on my class job chart is "blog writer". Each week a student will be writing about something interesting/fun/special we did in class. I will post their writing in a blog post for parents and followers to read. The kids were excited when I told them it could be read by people anywhere in the world who go to this blog! Come back soon to read what Brianna says about this week at school.

Have a great week!
Mrs. Mathews

No comments:

Post a Comment